Re: Using console.perms

On Dec 31, 2007 8:04 AM, Karl Larsen <k5di@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Tim wrote:
> > On Sun, 2007-12-30 at 17:17 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
> >
> >> and this works fine, of course.
> >>

> > And has *explained* nothing.  No, "how," no "why," no clues about it.
> >

>     It explains a whole lot more than the man page. It says you really
> can do this, and it works.
>
> Karl

I have to agree with Tim.  You did not explain anything at all.  You
simply pointed out two files and their contents.  You did not explain
at all what entries are required in those files to achieve the sought
after results.  You provide no explanation at all of why I'd go into
those files to change ownership of /dev/ttyS0.  You provide no
explanation of what changes you've made to those files (if any).  As
Tim pointed out, you provide no explanation at all.

At best you provided a "I have this in these files and it works for me
so it will work for you.  Just do it." which has been typical of any
guides you've attempted to post in the past.  But you didn't even say
that much because as I stated above, it isn't even clear if you've
made any manual changes to those files (and if so how did you make
those changes - for the lay person), and if so what changes did you
make and why.

If you don't understand it well enough to answer such questions then
at best you can post in response to someone asking about this topic
something to the effect that "This is what I did and it worked for me.
 Not sure why, but it works."  This way at least the person reading it
knows that you are not offering informed/authoritative advice and that
it should therefore be taken accordingly with the risks that come with
such advice.

Jacques B.