Re: [Fedora] Seeing input on Securing the Linux system from intrusions and attacks.

On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 18:59 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
> More recently, we've had monitored security installed. Mrs S tends to
> be a little paranoid, and I thought it might be worth the dollars for
> her peace of mind.
>
> In several years, we've had no intrusions, but quite a few false
> alarms.

I had thought that it'd be an idea to try making a better security
system, one that made use of Linux, and used ADSL for reporting to a
security office.  Either something like more than one sensor per room,
and both need tripping enough before being recognised as an alarm (like
ignoring moths or spiders going past one sensor), and multiple sensor
trips required to really be sure.  Or, what interests me more, would be
high resolution cameras that show the security office whether the house
is empty, or what's going on (strange men taking stuff out and pillaging
the place, or recognisable images of the owners - which means supplying
the monitoring company with the owner's pictures).

The latter one seems hard on two counts:

Most cameras are crap, you couldn't recognise your own friends on the
pictures you see floated about on the news.  So they're pretty crap at
trying to use them to catch a burglar, afterwards.

Trying to find something that's not just for Windows.  You want it to be
easy to get working, and reliable.  Even some of the standalone
networkable cameras depend on MSIE for you to see their pictures.

Years of false alarms have pissed me off, and so has having to go
through additional entry rituals to get into your own house before your
hearing gets assaulted by sirens.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386