Re: video issues

On Dec 30, 2007 6:17 PM, Mr.Scrooge <maximilian_bianco@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Has anyone else noticed any video/graphics issues lately? I am getting some flicker before the
> screen saver starts. I googled around of course and found many similar issues across a range of
> distros. A bug in the ati driver may be to blame. However this has only recently ( last few days)
> been an issue. I am thinking maybe a recent update has broken something or maybe exposed a
> previously unknown bug. The box in question is running Fedora 8(64 bit)with Radeon Xpress200.

Hi Mr.Scrooge (maximilian_bianco)!

I have not noticed anything.

Your symptom may indicate a memory use problem.

If I were you I would:

0. Check the contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log and /var/log/messages and
perhaps dmesg as well. (OK - I simply forgot this - good to do first -
I like to use a simple word processor like gedit or abiword and use
the search utilities to find "WW", "EE", "not", and "no".  You should
probably copy the files to your documents directory, change thier
ownership and permissions, and read the copy as you rather than root
which is always a bit dangerous).  If you find anything interesting
Google that part of it which is not specific to your environment (such
as pci ports for example).

1. Look for a video driver upgrade.

2. Look for a BIOS upgrade.

3. Consider more memory (always nice, more memory!).

4. Boot some live cd's and see if the symptom disappears - if so -
note which drivers and modules used and the contents of Xorg.0.log.

Good Hunting!

Tod