Re: desktop manager death via livecd-creator

On Dec 30, 2007 7:17 PM, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Michael Wiktowy wrote:
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RahulSundaram/XfceLive and the command:
> > livecd-creator --config=./ks_from_above_site
> > --fslabel=Fedora-livecd-xfce .
>
> Uh, oh. That's completely untested. You probably should wait till I put
> out a new version for testing. I have been working on that today.

Well ... I wasn't expecting perfection. I just wanted to try
livecd-creator out. I wasn't expecting it to crash my system.
FYI: the ks you have on that wiki page doesn't work by default because
of the repo line. I had to get rid of the extraneous space between the
repo= and the rest, add os/ to the end and change to the Everything
repo as the release didn't include some things you have listed.

The following line worked (until it filled my hd and all hell broke
loose, that is):
repo --name=8 --baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/Everything/i386/os/

> > Anyone have an idea what broke?
>
> livecd-creator uses a folder under /var/tmp. If the process gets
> interrupted it doesn't get cleaned up. Check that up.

Moving a pile of stuff to another filesystem did the trick. I also
cleared the leftover cruft out of the /var/tmp directory which gave me
a whole bunch more. Thanks for the pointer as I was incorrectly
looking in /tmp/ and not seeing any remains. How much space does
making a LiveCD take?

I recall the last time I ran out of space, Fedora handled it much more
gracefully, would gdm not starting up on a system with no hd space for
a regular user be a regression?

/Mike