Re: mounting /usr readonly

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
On Sun, 30 Dec 2007, John Summerfield wrote:

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

... snip ...

  can i assume that, as long as nothing is open for write, the
read-only remount should work?  is there any other reason that i
would be told that the device is busy.  put another way, if i run
the above command and don't see an "F", should the remount always
work?

Add ro to the mount options in /etc/fstab and see what complains.
                                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

but that wasn't the question.  again, if i try to, in one operation,
remount a filesystem readonly with "mount -o remount,ro", is the only
possible reason that remount could fail is if something on that
filesystem is open for writing, which would show up in the output of
"fuser -muv"?

I've previously found it beyond my ability to find (using lsof) everything that's open on a filesystem (I seem to recall problems with an nfs mount). In my case I suspected a kernel module.

or is it possible that that remount could fail because of "device
busy" and i run that fuser command and i don't see anything marked
with "F", which means there's another reason for the remount failure,
and what might that be?

About the only thing I'm sure about "device busy" messages is that it does not mean the device is busy.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait