Re: Java problem

>Fedora is a community project - if people want to pitch in to integrate
>Sun's Java more easily, great, I'm all for it.
>
>As it is distributed, the license is still restrictive and none of the
>repositories will touch the packaging which means that you have to get
>the software from Sun and rely upon their assistance (which is minimal)
>to install / integrate.
>
>In the meantime, Red Hat and Fedora are distributing a free version that
>mostly works, on all platforms, without restrictive licensing, thereby
>providing a working Tomcat, Eclipse, etc. I guess I fail to see what the
>complaint is.
>
>I don't recall ever seeing you post on something that you couldn't get
>done with the GCJ version so I suspect that you are just downloading and
>playing with the Sun version of Java because you think you need to do
>that.
>
>To the OP, I think I gave you a reasonable method to install either
>Sun's JDK or JRE and to create the environmental variables so that each
>user has full access to the Sun version.
>
>Craig

Actually, Sun's Java is very easy to install and configure on both 32
and 64 bit.  The only real problem is the lack of a 64bit browser
plugin and as far as I can tell nspluginwrapper doesn't work with the
32bit version.

I did a short page on how to set up Sun's Java on F8;

http://www.knutejohnson.com/sun-java-on-F8.html

--
Knute Johnson
Molon Labe...