Re: Complete chroot environment?

Tom Horsley wrote:
On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 21:43:22 +0900
John Summerfield <debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I would contemplate an alternative approach such as using xen or, if h/w virtualisation is available. kvm.

Actually, the "stuff" I want to do is pretty limited. I mainly just
want to run "yum -y --downloadonly update" to get the alternate
boot partition's yum cache populated with updates which will be
there waiting to install when I boot for real. The mount --bind
gimmick earlier in this thread seems to work (according to my
experiments), now I just gotta get official scripts written and
installed in cron.

Then this might do.

20:49 [summer@numbat ~]$ yum --help | grep root
  --installroot=[path]  set install root
20:50 [summer@numbat ~]$

try (I often fail) to remember to define the problem and invite solutions. chroot is one, but it might not be the best.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait