Re: How to correctly write a video DVD from MPEG-2 files

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>> Long story short:
>> 	I have a new video camera (sony dcr sr-42).  I've records 75 minutes of
>> video on it.  I can mount its hdd over USB to my (fc6) laptop and access
>> the .MPG files which are the recording.  Two of them, since the first
>> one is 2GB in size, the 2nd file contains the remainder of the video.
>> Seems to be an MPEG-2 video w/AC3 audio embedded.
>> 	How do I write this to a DVD that anyone can stick it their stand-alone
>> DVD player and play as a single "movie"?
>> 	I tried using "dvdstyler", but it errors out while checking the video
>> for MPEG-2 errors (lots of bogus packet sizes), and then "mplex"
>> complains about the input files it gets as being unrecognizable.
>> 	dvdauthor assumes that I have VOB files already (I don't).
>
> Are you sure that is the case?
>
> dvdauthor  -  assembles multiple mpeg program streams into a suitable DVD
>               filesystem
>

> Have you tried creating an xml file like so....
>
> <dvdauthor>
>   <vmgm />
>     <titleset>
>       <titles>
>         <pgc>
>           <vob file="your_video.mpg" chapters="0,0:10,0:20,0:30,0:40,0:50" />
>         </pgc>
>       </titles>
>     </titleset>
> </dvdauthor>
>
> And using a command such as ...  dvdauthor -o dvd -x dvd.xml to create the
> dvd-structure in the -o directory....

No, I didn't, I'd rather have a tool that I can say:

	create_dvd file.mpg

and have it do all the work, since I have no clue how to convert/massage
the .mpg files into the correct ISO format to be burned onto the DVD.
So, telling me to set up an .xml file assume that I know what to put in
the .xml file (which I do not know).

But, I will play with your example and see if I get anywhere.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx