Re: Hard drive encryption question for dual-boot XP and Fedora

Kerry Miller wrote:
My company is requiring us to encrypt the hard drive on all laptops. We've already got some encryption software but it only works with Windows,
not anything set up to dual boot or anything running VMware.  Do any of
you guys know of some kind of encryption software (open source or not)
that can handle a dual boot laptop with Windows XP on one partition and
Fedora on the other?  He's already told me I need to get rid of my Linux
partition but I need it for network diagnostics, I'm hoping if I can find
an alternative he'll let me and the other network guy use a different
encryption package.

If the laptops boot from USB then a 4.0 or 8.0 Gbyte Sandisk or similar might be a suitable alternative to a linux partition, and should be fine for network diagnostics.

I would not defy The Boss, but if he agrees Linux is good for its diagnostic tools, then the question becomes "How do we do this?" and a USB disk that's encrypted and doesn't carry sensitive data, or even a CD/DVD might be part of the answer.

Remember, your job is to help The Boss look good.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait