Re: Fedora Cookbook: The Broadcom wireless recipe.

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
On Thu, 27 Dec 2007, Vivek J. Patankar wrote:
Robert P. J. Day wrote:
http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Broadcom_wireless_on_Fedora_8
feedback appreciated.
The method worked flawlessly for me, except that I followed instructions  from
http://fedoramobile.org/fc-wireless/bcm43xx-yum-extras
I have an Acer Aspire 5004 with a bcm4318 chip.

hmmmm ... i note that that page strongly recommends the use of
NetworkManager.  not that long ago, people were complaining about how
it didn't work very well.  perhaps i'll have to take another look at
it but, for now, since it doesn't seem critical, i just leave it out
of the mix.

IMO, NetworkManager is the way to go as far as wireless is concerned. But it is a royal pain when you have to switch to and from wired networks often. I usually turn off 'NetworkManager' and start the 'network' service if I am connecting to a wired network. The biggest irritation with it is how when I connect to my wireless network at home, it adds the router address to the top of resolv.conf, but doesn't remove it when disconnecting and I have to make modifications to resolv.conf if I am on a wired network or connected via my GPRS connection.

--
Regards,
विवेक ज. पाटणकर (Vivek J. Patankar)

Registered Linux User #374218