Re: What's the cause of these dependency errors?

On Mon, 2007-12-24 at 06:39 -0800, Dean S. Messing wrote:
> With the discussion about FC6 being dead, I thought I'd do a last yum
> update of my beloved FC6 laptop.  (The last one was 6th December.)
> For some reason new versions of the 3 packages
>
>  kdenetwork-extras
>  kdebase-extras
>  kdeutils-extras
>
> are not being pulled in and yet packages they are dependent on
>
>  kdenetwork
>  kdebase
>  kdeutils
>
> are getting replaced with later versions.
> This appears to cause the dependency errors.
>
> In addition, the package "kde-settings-kdm" (which I have on the
> machine) now appears to need package "kdebase-kdm" (which I don't
> have).  But `yum install kdebase-kdm' returns "Nothing to do".
>
> I've included a transcript of the yum update for your inspection.
> What's the fix?  Am I missing a repo?

Dunno, but the kde*-extras packages want older versions of their related
RPMs.  Note, for example:

    Package kdenetwork.i386 7:3.5.8-1.fc6 set to be updated

But later in the display:

    kdenetwork = 7:3.5.7-1.fc6 is needed by package kdenetwork-extras

So kdenetwork-extras wants kdenetwork 3.5.7-1, but you're set to update
to kdenetwork 3.5.8-1.  This sounds like the -extras stuff themselves
hasn't been updated or their dependencies haven't been.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-  What's small, yellow and very, VERY dangerous?  The root canary!  -