Re: how to jigdo download a fedora 8 re-spin in one easy step?

On Wednesday 26 December 2007, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>On Thu, 27 Dec 2007, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>> >   by the way, the above is still not annoyance-free:
>>
>> OK....
>>
>> So, I gather from all of this that the existing documentation,
>> links, and whatever doesn't measure up to what you need or expect.
>> Would that be a fair summary?
>>
>> Is the question then, how can documentation be improved for the
>> average user?
>
>all i'm suggesting is that it took an inordinately long time to figure
>out what should have been a two-minute exercise.  i'm guessing that,
>in most cases, readers aren't interested in a long-winded overview of
>things -- they just want to know what commands to run to get
>something done, which is all i wanted in the first place.
>
>in short, what people might want is a fedora "cookbook" with tight,
>concise recipes that just plain work, out of the box.  if they choose
>to read up later on the underlying operations, then that's their
>choice.

+++++++++50 what he said.

This is my main bitch too.  Particularly with jigdo, the manpages suck, and
you all think its a big secret as to how to make it work.  Frankly I have
doubts there are 20 people on the planet who actually know how to make it
work the first time.

Given that we have made a directory for jigdo-lite to work in, and what we
want to pull, you make getting the correct starter file's url for a given
download to be an unfathomable mystery accessible only to the annointed, as
its not usually visible (hey fedora, are you listening) as a pullable file on
the web page advertising the jigdo availability, and the correct way to spec
the target path on your hardware to this starter file is always
spoken/written about in an extremely obtuse way.  We speak english here as a
matter of having a common language, and its my native tongue, but the answers
I have elicited to date may as well be written in swahili.

I see 2 choices for jigdo.

1) remove it from distribution (but it promises to be a usefull tool if its
ever completed, but its the Duke Nukem Forever story all over again, for
what, 3 years now?)

2) support it properly, with decent docs that make sense to a reader of
english.  One annotated sample command line is worth 2000 words of obtuse
prose.

This reminds me several years ago, of a piece of a C compiler for a 'legacy'
machine that needed lots of TLC.  A CS student undertook to fix it via a
total rewrite.  But his prof made a huge mistake and gave him an A before it
was quite ready so he went on to other things, and I had to do 3 more
releases before it was actually usable for the biggest project I had to throw
at it.  That seems to be the jigdo situation.  So either finish it, or put it
and us trying to make it work out of our misery.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)