system-config-printer "there was a problem connecting to the cups server"

I'm having some problems getting the printing to work from this new laptop to
another of my machines that acts as a print server.

 /sbin/service cups status
cupsd (pid 2287) is running...

When I run system-config-printer on the laptop a window comes up that says
"there was a problem connecting to the cups server".  I hit OK and the program
exits.

Browsing to http://localhost:631 brings up the usual cups screen, and hitting
the "printers" tab shows me the remote printer.  Hitting "print test page"
brings up a page that tells me "Firefox can't find the server at" my print
server's name.

I disabled the firewall on the laptop and nothing changed.

I deleted /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny on the laptop and nothing
changed.

I can print to my print server from this computer, just not from the
laptop.

What am I missing?