Webcam logic -- theory Send leads

I have succeeded in interfacing my webcam to linux. (I did not write the interface, but am using a compatible webcam). The quality is poor, as I believe that not enough bits are set aside for creating the images in full colour.

Can someone point me to the webcam theory on the net. (Wikeopaedia, or google, or whatever).  I have been reading the existing code, found some trivial inefficiences (if the compiler does optimisation, the compiler may actually do a good job of optimising them out).

I want to add resolution. Doing so will allow full colour to my images. Also, there are problems with segmentation errors if one tries to dynamically change parameters while the cam is in use.

So, any webcam logic / theory leads would be much appreciated.

Leslie Satenstein

Seasons Greetings.