Re: X problems .. NVidia, Breaks after updaes applied... New to list

Dick Seabrook wrote:
I apologize if this has been discussed -- just joined the
list.
The last two updates blew away video driver access
necessary for Google Earth and the Second Life
client.  Fortunately re-installing the Nvidia driver
fixed the problem in each case.  Does anyone
have a suggestion for avoiding this problem?
Dick S.

NVidia drivers need to catch up to the kernel. If you are running a script for NVidia, it will need to run each time the update upgrades the kernel. It is a module that needs built specifically to match the kernel version. If you are running an rpm version and the NVidia driver is older than the newly installed kernel, there are helper plugins for yum which will suppress the kernel updates and then release the NVidia update and allow the kernel to be updated.

Others who have NVidia drivers can inform you of other options available.

Jim
--
Disclaimer: "These opinions are my own, though for a small fee they be
yours too."