Re: rhgb problems @ boot time

On Dec 22, 2007 3:35 PM, Daniel B. Thurman <dant@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> For some reason log after post install of Fedora 8, the services-loading gui screen stopped
> working.  What you get just after a udev is a X11-busy-watch  flash(instead of a gnome cursor
> with a blue spinner), then it continues back in text-mode remounting / as rw, mounting
> the local filesystems, enabling quota, and enabling the swap partition.  At that point, after
> several minutes go by, the gnome login screen appears.  It all works fine, except for the
> missing services-loading screen.
>
> At this point, I am unable to fix the services loading screen and it appears that this screen
> attempts to get started by rhgb?  I peered into the /etc/rhgb/temp directory and found
> the xorg.log file there. The contents of this file is dumped below.
>
> Please note the first 3 lines at the top.  Seems that there is a problem there
> somehow.  I think there might be a minor problem with ACPI; selinux is avc denied
> access to the ACPI socket.  Finally, the very end of this log show a failure to find
> a 'fixed' font and the X/rhgb crashes?
>
> File: /etc/rhgb/temp/xorg.log

Hi Daniel B. Thurman,

Your answer may be somewhere here:

/usr/share/doc/rhgb-0.17.6/HOW_IT_WORKS

I think I would:

1. Google the first lines of the xorg.log file.  Take sections of the
lines which look to be likely common in all cases and add say "xorg"
or "X" or "X11".  You might do well to do a "relabel on next reboot"
from System > Administration > SELinux Management.

2. I note that there are many, many "not using" lines in the file
which speak of screen resolutions and other things. My thinking here
is that I cannot find the dpi:unscaled  files ether (I am using FC7
and that may well be why) but perhaps it would not need such a file if
another resolution was in use. You might consider making a simple
xorg.conf file and placing it at /etc/rhgb as proscribed below (from
above mentioned doc):
If a specific /etc/rhgb/xorg.conf configuration file for X under rhgb
is provided then it will be passed to the X command line to allow
a specific configuration for X boot.

Good Hunting!

Tod