Re: Http access to SVN, anyone?

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Arthur Pemberton wrote:

I have access to my SVN repository from a remote client
using svnserve, but not through http .

I guess the problem probably lies in httpd.conf ,
but I haven't come across a document that says
exactly what changes one has to make for svn .
(I do have mod_dav_svn installed.)

Any enlightenment or pointers gratefully received.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

This is a bit like saying the answer is in the Bible.

I actually have the online book on my computer,
and have followed the rather meagre instructions on this point,
but get the errors above.

I can checkout a project with svnserve:
[tim@elizabeth tmp]$ svn checkout
svn://www.gayleard.com/var/www/svn/Maths/Penrose Penrose
A    Penrose/trunk
A    Penrose/trunk/penrose.ins
A    Penrose/trunk/penrose.dtx
A    Penrose/trunk/README
A    Penrose/brances
A    Penrose/tags
Checked out revision 1.
But I cannot checkout with http:
[tim@elizabeth tmp]$ rm -rf Penrose
[tim@elizabeth tmp]$ svn checkout
http://www.gayleard.com/var/www/svn/Maths/Penrose Penrose
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/var/www/svn/Maths/Penrose'
svn: PROPFIND of '/var/www/svn/Maths/Penrose': 405 Method Not Allowed
(http://www.gayleard.com)
It isn't even allowed on the same computer:
[tim@alfred tmp]$ svn checkout http://localhost/var/www/svn/Maths/Penrose
Penrose
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/var/www/svn/Maths/Penrose'
svn: PROPFIND of '/var/www/svn/Maths/Penrose': 405 Method Not Allowed
(http://localhost)

Well, that is because you are accessing the SVN repository with the wrong url.
Because you are requesting your HTTP server for the data, and not the svn server, the url is also different.
And you will have to create some kind of subversion config for Apache.
Mine is like this:
LoadModule dav_svn_module     modules/mod_dav_svn.so
LoadModule authz_svn_module   modules/mod_authz_svn.so

<Location /svn>
  DAV svn
  SVNPath /data/www/svn

  AuthzSVNAccessFile /data/www/svn/conf/authz
  Require valid-user

  # Limit write permission to list of valid users.
  <LimitExcept GET PROPFIND OPTIONS REPORT>
    # Require SSL connection for password protection.
    AuthType Basic
    AuthName "Subversion Repository"
    AuthUserFile /etc/svn-auth-file

    SSLRequireSSL
  </LimitExcept>
</Location>

This allows me to access my repository through http://myservername/svn/ which is located at /data/www/svn
so I can do for example:
svn co http://myservername/svn/
As you see in the config file, you also have to create some kind of authentication mechanism, to allow the mod_dav_svn module to authenticate your user.

Hope this helps