Re: DHCP even when I set static addresses

Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 20:34 -0500, Christopher K. Johnson wrote:
Peter Lauri wrote:
Hi,

I use FC8 on my T61. I set static addresses for everything, but still dhcp tries to figure out the IP. And it ends up that the IP has something like 169.X.X.X

Initially when I do ifup eth0 it works fine, and I can use internet, but after a minute (the indicator tells that "aquiring network address") it goes from 85.X.X.X (that is the correct one) to 169.X.X.X that is some internal address I think.

Any hints? How can i turn off the dhcp stuff?

/Peter
Hard to say without more information. But it may be NetworkManager doing that.
Try this as root:
service NetworkManager stop
service NetworkManagerDispatcher stop
ifdown eth0
ifup eth0

If that works correctly and stays statically configured then make disabling of NetworkManager permanent:

chkconfig NetworkManager off
chkconfig NetworkManagerDispatcher off

If that does not do it, please send the contents of your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
You are not only assuming that he is running NM but also that he is
running network. So after he stops NM he has to make sure that he is
running network. Also checking /etc/dnclient.conf might be helpfull.
I his reference to use of 'ifup eth0' and that it initially had the correct static address as evidence of several things, among them:
- He is somewhat familiar with network configuration via command-line.
- He IS running network in order to get that far.

I did not presume he was running NM, but suggested it as a possibility, and how to test/remedy that if he was. It seemed likely since a dhcp lease attempt and zeroconf address assignment were occurring.

  Chris Johnson, RHCE #804005699817957