Re: Cannot upgrade box to Fedora 8... DVD stalled on vmlinuz... Ready!

Please read below:

On Dec 21, 2007 1:00 PM, Rick Stevens <rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 2007-12-21 at 12:31 -0500, Excalibur Xcalibur wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>                I burned the dvd iso of F8, and when I booted the DVD
> and selected upgrade, it loaded fine and went on to
>
> vmlinuz blah blah...
>
> then completely stalls or freezes on "Ready". Well it was like that
> for hours. So I couldn't upgrade my FC6 box with F8. Even when I
> reboot it, it's still the same story.

We need LOTS more info, Peter.  Computer make/model (or processor type
and motherboard make/model), video card, type of hard drive (SATA, SCSI,
IDE), memory size, that sort of thing.  Also make sure the BIOS on the
machine is the current release (check with the computer or motherboard
maker's website).

Thanks for the reply Rick. Here's what I can tell you about my system:

Dell DM051 x86

x86 Family 15  Model 4 Stepping 7 Intel 2793 MHz

Intel 82845G chipset

RAM 2 GB
SATA drive
BIOS version Dell Inc A05, 3 /31/2006 (Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS version  1.10 A05)

The most common problems have to do with interrupt routing, DMA
channels, APMI issues and that sort of thing.  There's lots of work-
arounds and we need to know what may be appropriate for you.  If you
could tell us what's displayed when you hit "ALT-F3" and "ALT-F4" when
it's stalled, that may help as well.

Nothing's displayed at all. I don't have a problem with either the F7 or FC6 boot DVDs! :(

--
Peter "Excalibur"