Re: Gecko crash in Thunderbird/F8

On Thursday, December 20, 2007, at 12:31PM, "Mickey Bankhead" <mickey@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>I've recently installed F8 on my new Dell, and I've got a terrible
>annoying problem with Thunderbird...
>
>If I launch Thunderbird, it opens fine. Every time I click to open and
>read any e-mail message, I get this pop-up Gecko Crashed window, and
>Thunderbird crashed back to the X Desktop.
>I can fix the problem by yum erase thunderbird, then yum install
>thunderbird.  It works for ONE time I load thunderbird.  As soon as I
>close Thunderbird, the problem starts over, and I cannot click to
>open/read any e-mail message again until I yum erase thunderbird, and
>yum install thunderbird.....!

Try nuking your thunderbird preferences.
I know that's not a proper fix, but I suspect it is an oddity in your preferences that is causing it problems.

Also - install the gdb and the thunderbird-debuginfo package and try to get a backtrace - as that may help squash a bug.

You should be able to start thunderbird from gdb, and get a backtrace when it crashes.