Re: arp who-has? tell?

John Summerfield wrote:

John Cornelius wrote:

Actually, these messages are coming from the DHCP server for the

Not so. DCHP uses UDP ports 67 & 68. That's not what I saw.

Tis too! When the server chooses an address to issue to someone it has to verify that the address isn't already in use. To do that, it asks the network if anyone has the address (ARP) and if no one say's yes the address is issued.

If (as may be happening in this case) the DHCP server is also the segment's router then any time the router needs to send a packet to the segment it checks its ARP cache to see if it has a physical address for this IP address and if the address has been flushed from the cache it ARPs the network again to get an entry.

Since there wasn't any subsequent traffic between the router/server and the addresses that it was arping it's likely that it was just housekeeping by the DHCP server.

All of which is a fine point and is probably irrelevant to the original question which I believe was, WTF?

physical segment (not subnet) that the modem is on. It's updating its

That bit is correct.

But, of course it is!

--jc