Re: Setting permissions on serial port

Duane Clark wrote:
> I have one of those USB serial port adapters, but whenever I reboot, I
> find that I need to, as root, change the permissions on /dev/ttyUSB0
> before I can run minicom. I tried adding a command to do this to
> /etc/rc.d/rc.local, but this sometimes seems to work and sometimes
> (mostly) not.
>
> Is there some standard way to set the permissions on the device file
> when it is dynamically created?

There are a couple of ways to handle this. One way is to add the
user to the uucp group. A second way is to add a udev rule that sets
the permission, and preferably a symlink for the adapter. Then have
minicom configured to use the symlink instead of the name. You can
also configure a console.perms rule to change the permissions so
that the user logged into the console has access.

For USB devices, I like to combine a udev rule with a console.perms
rule that works on the symlink. But I have more then one device that
looks like a USB serial port to the system, and they do not always
get plugged in in the same order.

It should also be possible to write a HAL rule to manage this
device, but I have not played with that yet.

Mikkel