Re: arp who-has? tell?

John Cornelius said:

> Actually, these messages are coming from the DHCP server for the physical segment (not subnet) that the modem is on. It's
> updating its tables of active addresses so that it can put inactive ones back into the mix for subsequent allocation to other
> sites. The 98.203.0.1 address is the address of the DHCP server.

> ARP requests are done at the network's physical layer because interfaces are not guaranteed to have an IP address so while > subnet masks don't effect them physical segmentation does.

> It's pretty normal for cable internet providers to do this to keep their tables up to date. They can also have more than one
> network on a physical segment which might explain the "strange" addresses.

> Finally, all interfaces will generate ARP requests because when you try to make a connection to an IP address on the same
> subnet you don't know what its physical address is so your computer issues an ARP request of the form "who has
> nn.nn.nn.nn". Whoever has that address responds with its physical address and then you can make your connection. All
> ethernet communications is ultimately done between physical addresses which may explain why we go to all of this trouble.

> --jc

Some info:

$ sudo /sbin/ifconfig

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:11:D8:CF:C4:8C
          inet addr:98.203.6.135  Bcast:255.255.255.255  Mask:255.255.248.0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:368010009 (350.9 MiB)  TX bytes:17358499 (16.5 MiB)
          Interrupt:17 Base address:0x2000

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:2490948 (2.3 MiB)  TX bytes:2490948 (2.3 MiB)

--

As far as my default gateway I'm guessing 93.203.0.1

$ cat etc hosts:

127.0.0.1	localhost.localdomain	localhost	f8
::1	localhost.localdomain	localhost	f8

--

Sorry I'm new at this.

Thanks for the reply. I figured it somehow is programmed into the
cable modem and is somehow initiated by Comcast. I initially ignored
it, but as a start in my learning about routers and networking I
started here.  I basically see how it works now. My next project is to
get a static ip address from DynDNS www.dyndns.com/ and then study up
on routers. Any sugestions on hardware and software would be
appreciated. I'd like to eventually experiment with a wireless sff
motherboard diy router project.

Thanks again.

-macroron-