Re: Fedora Documentation Group

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Karl Larsen wrote:

    I have been trying to join this group. I have run into problems at
gpg.MIT and the hoops I need to jump through to be able to write a
single word! This has gone on for a week and I have dropped out. But I
showed them my problems, and they said they have not had a new member
for a year. I know why :-)

    In my opinion the documentation for Fedora is very poor to bad.

I'm just trying to emulate Karl, in joining the Project.

There do seem to be some unnecessary hurdles to surmount
before one is accepted into the inner circle.

I managed to send my key to mit as requested,
although I agree that the method prescribed for this in the wiki
<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/UsingGpg/>
does not actually work.

I used kgpg rather than "pure" gpg,
and this allowed me to register the server <hkp://pgp.mit.edu:11371>
before sending the key.
I'm not sure if giving the port helped the key on its way.

I think the Fedora documentation that actually exists
is usually pretty good.
The trouble is, there is very little of it.
My initial impression is that there is an excessive formalism in place,
whereby the content of a document takes second place
to its agreement with the style and format prescribed by the project.

Many of the best Linux documents I have seen
have been email messages full of typos.

On the whole, worrying too much about the style of a document
is a bit like judging a presidential candidate on his sexual morality.

   Hi and for the other fellow this is from a message on the Doc list:

I have to agree, fedora docs project is by far the hardest project I've ever tried to join. Previous development projects all I had to do is send an email and hey presto SVN write access. This whole process is so long and drawn out it is probably marginalising a whole swathe of potential contributers.

I think I fall into that swathe.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI