Re: Squid wont start after update?

On 18Dec2007 20:37, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Cameron Simpson wrote:
>> On 18Dec2007 16:25, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>    I just ran todays F7 updates and squid immediately quit running and
>>>    wont start.
>>>            service squid restart
>>>            Stopping squid:
>>>       [FAILED]
>>>            Starting squid: ....................
>>>       [FAILED]
>>>
>>>    What do I need to look for?
>>
>> Look at /var/log/squid/cache.log.
>>
> The first line after the PUP update:
>
> 2007/12/18 15:14:20| storeDirClean: /var/spool/squid/0D/31: (13) Permission
> denied
>
> Whatever that file is that it wants is not there?

The whole /var/spool/squid tree needs to be owned by "squid".
But it probably is (better check).

> It had been working normally until this time.

Yeah.

Have you got SELinux enabled? It is possible that the rules let squid
run from boot, but not from a root command line. I've certainly tripped
over this "feature" myself.

There's some rationale for this somewhere on the web, but personally I just
turn SELinux off. Why? Because it screws with the straightforward UNIX
security model, such that you can't do deeply desirable stuff like
looking at a file permission and knowing what you're allowed to do with
it.

You can run SELinux in "permissive" mode, too, where it reports SELinux
violations but permits the action; your system will run fine but crap
will stream constantly across the console...
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

And since God doesn't exist, we have weather forecasters.
        - bandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx