Re: What does `package-cleanup --orphans' really tell me?

Kam Leo wrote:
: On Dec 17, 2007 2:02 PM, Dean S. Messing <deanm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
: >
: > Craig White (toward the end of the Cups Problem thread) wrote:
: > : sudo rpm -e x264-0.0.0-0.3.20061023.fc6.i386
: > : sudo yum -y install yum-utils
: > : # and then finally...let us know the output of
: > : sudo package-cleanup --orphans
: > :
: > : This will list problematic packages
: >
: > Out of curiosity, I just ran
: >
: > `package-cleanup --orphans'
: >
: > on my fairly well-maintained F7 system and got:
: >
: > [root@medulla0 ~]# package-cleanup --orphans
: > Setting up yum
: > kernel-2.6.22.9-91.fc7.x86_64
: > fetchmail-init-1.1-0.noarch
: > autofs-5.0.1-27.x86_64
: > kernel-devel-2.6.23.1-10.fc7.x86_64
: > pam-0.99.7.1-5.1.fc7.x86_64
: > pam-0.99.7.1-5.1.fc7.i386
: > mysql-libs-5.0.45-1.fc7.i386
: > pam-devel-0.99.7.1-5.1.fc7.i386
: > metamail-2.7-29.7.x.legacy.x86_64
: > kernel-2.6.23.1-21.fc7.x86_64
: > pam-devel-0.99.7.1-5.1.fc7.x86_64
: > mysql-libs-5.0.45-1.fc7.x86_64
: > VMwareWorkstation-6.0.2-59824.x86_64
: > kernel-devel-2.6.23.1-21.fc7.x86_64
: > kernel-2.6.23.1-10.fc7.x86_64
: > kmod-nvidia-100.14.19-1.2.6.23.1_10.fc7.x86_64
: > iptables-ipv6-1.3.8-2.1.fc7.x86_64
: > grub-0.97-13.i386
: > iptables-1.3.8-2.1.fc7.x86_64
: > kernel-2.6.22.5-76.fc7.x86_64
: > AdobeReader_enu-8.1.1-1.i486
: >
: > (Yes, I keep more than two kernels around.)
: >
: > Which of these is problematic?  I'd be interested to know what
: > `package-cleanup --orphans' is checking for?
: >
: > The man page gives this description:
: >
: > DESCRIPTION
: >        package-cleanup  is  a  program  for  cleaning  up  the  locally-
: >        installed RPMs.
: >
: >
: > Later in the man page it says something about these packages not
: > coming from any yum repo.  In the list above, that is only true for a
: > subset of packages (e.g. AdobeReader_enu and VMwareWorkstation).
: >
: > Dean
:
: For F8 "man package-cleanup" provides this output:
:
: [snip]
:
:        --orphans
:               List  installed  packages  which are not available from currenly
:               configured repositories.
:
: My take on "currenly configured" [sic] is enabled yum repositories. So
: what --orphan will tell you is that the listed package(s) is(are) not
: in a yum repository or is due to be replaced by an update. Here is the
: output for my F8-x84 installation which had some updates pending:
<snip>

Thanks Kam.

I had come to the same conclusions as you did above.  But when I did a
yum clean all; yum update, it said everything was up-to-date.  I knew
that stuff like autofs and iptables was certainly in one of my enabled
repos.  That's what caused my confusion and prompted my message to the
board.

After reading your response I, once more, tried an update.  To my
chagrin the packages I did not think shd. be on the orphan list were
now reported as having updates.

So either I'm losing my mind and didn't actually do the first update,
or I caught the mirror at just the wrong time.  Anyway, after the
update, the orphan package list is just what I'd expect.  I have
several more than you because I've installed 32-bit versions of a few
things (like grub) on my 64 bit machine, and then disabled the 32-bit
repo.  But the list is now correct.

: So where is the utility in this utility?

I suppose if one has a lot of such orphans, it provides a quick way,
prior to installing a new Fedora version, to make sure you install the
orphan rpms.  Unless one keeps very careful notes on one's system, the
more cues there are as to what one has changed or added, the better.

Thanks again.
Dean