Re: What does `package-cleanup --orphans' really tell me?

On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 14:02 -0800, Dean S. Messing wrote:
> Craig White (toward the end of the Cups Problem thread) wrote:

> Which of these is problematic?  I'd be interested to know what
> `package-cleanup --orphans' is checking for?
>
> The man page gives this description:
>
> DESCRIPTION
>        package-cleanup  is  a  program  for  cleaning  up  the  locally-
>        installed RPMs.
>

> Later in the man page it says something about these packages not
> coming from any yum repo.  In the list above, that is only true for a
> subset of packages (e.g. AdobeReader_enu and VMwareWorkstation).
----
things that would be a likely cause...

changing (enabling/disabling repos)

package updates that get dropped from distro - i.e. if there are several
updates to pam package, only the last 1 or 2 updates are kepts in
repository/updates...look at your pam...it's not listed in current
'updates'

Craig