Re: pls share your experience about the computer forzen

On Dec 14, 2007 6:28 AM, chloe K <chloekcy2000@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am running the fedora7 (PAE kernel, disable selinux) as router. it has
> been up 28 days.
>
> Yesterday the computer was no response suddenly
>
> I saw the login prompt in the console but the keyboard didn't have any
> response.
>
> After rebooting, I check logs and  (I have own logs - ps , top, dmesg every
> mintues). the computer was ok before freezing. No kernel panic also
>
> Do you have any ideas to cause this problem?
>
> eg; overhead, memory leakage, and so on....
>
> Do you have any suggestion?
>
> Thank you so much

Hi chloe K!

Interesting use of Fedora (as a router) and a Physical Address
Extension Kernel (how much memory do you have in the machine?).  I am
also a bit surprised to see you disable SELinux in a networking
device.

There are many other logs in /var/logs you should look at, such as
messages and Xorg.0.log if you run X.

I guess I have seen freezes (from most to least often) from:

1. Power related events.  The most common for me is lightening
related, but that is due to a lot of years working very close to tall
radio towers.  The towers attract lightning very well.  In a normal
city setting I have seen lightning related lfreezes.  Voltage sag "the
lights dimmed for a second" brown outs.  These came most often from
construction in the area  but any big motor can cause such a brown out
and is also capable if generating a large "spike" impulse.  In one
case one of my operators noted that the computer froze at exactly the
same time every day.  The same time a local farmer turned off his
irrigation pumps.  I solved that one with spike protection.  Other
times I use an uninterruptible power supply (UPS).

2. CMOS battery getting old.  Try setting CMOS to defaults as an easy
cure but if power fails it will not come up again right until you
replace and/or clean the battery.

3. Hard disk failure, usually due to physical shock.  Note that you
will usually find indications in /var/log/messages and root's mail
about this if it is happening (see man smartd).

4. Device conflict.  Sometimes devices try to use an unsharable
interrupt, memory space, or other resource.  This has become less
common I think.

5. Improper cooling causing devices to become unstable.  Look for fans
that do not work, air flow blocked  by dirt or anything else,
environment too hot.

6. Memory or other computer part failure (MB, CPU, etc...).  Note that
some parts when they fail tend to take others with them (not very
common, fortunately).  Also note that it my seem to be another part
that failed.  It is good to run a memory test once in awhile.

7. Virus.  If you connect to the net it is good to scan once in a
while, and re-load fresh every six months.

8. Software conflict.  Could be memory leak, segmentation fault, or
just some crazy code you happen to hit circumstantially.  Can be
interesting to find.   Probably good to do updates once in a while.
Sometimes Googleing the symptom with Linux or Fedora can yeild some
hits.

Just kind of guessing from what you have written I would look at 1, 5,
7, 6, 8, 4, 3, and 2.  The order is based on thinking that the machine
is fairly new, is facing the internet, and seems to have a reasonable
track record.

Good Hunting!

Tod