Re: Which format should I use to format external disk?

Paul Smith wrote:
On Dec 15, 2007 9:48 PM, Tom Horsley <tom.horsley@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I have bought an external hard disk basically for backups. Which
format should I use to format it?
Mine came already formatted as NTFS, but I decided that since I was
backing up a linux system, I'd just feel better if I used ext3,
so I reformatted it to that for no particular technical reason :-).

Note that you can get to NTFS from linux by installing ntfs-3g
and ext2/3 from windows by installing Ext2IFS (http://www.fs-driver.org/),
so either filesystem can work for windows or for linux.

Thanks to both. I have formatted the external disk with ext3, and it
mounts well. However, when I try to copy something in it, I do not
have permission for that. How can I overcome this? Where should I
change the permissions?

Paul

If your backing up the whole of your Linux you need root because many files are owned by root. So use a root terminal and you will not have any mor problems.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User