Re: F8 install failure at xinit

Gene Heskett wrote:

> Greetings all;
>
> I just tried to install F8 on a fresh 400GB sata disk, on an offboard
> controller.  I configured it so as not to touch the existing drives with
> FC6 installed on them so that I had some continuity and could back up to
> Fc6 as I am now.
>
> Everything was marching along at a good rate, with basically an everything
> install, 1266 packages IIRC.
>
> At the 805th package it bailed out.  The package was:
>
> xorg-x11-xinit-1.0.7-2.fc8.i386.rpm
>
> It either could not be opened or was missing.  The media did pass
> checksum, and the network was alive & well, the install getting much of
> its info from there according to the traffic on my router.
>
> Next?

This is a really bad feature of anaconda, IMHO.
I installed Windows XP the other day,
and had exactly this problem.
I took out the CD, and put it in again,
and the installation continued from where it was.
Anaconda seems to have no concept of "try again".

One solution when this happens is to install an absolutely minimal set
(opt for Custom Install and choose almost nothing)
and then run "yum groupinstall ...".

Another solution is to get the KDE Live CD,
and use that to install from DVD.
I only have a sample size of 2,
but this seemed to be more reliable that installing directly from the DVD.