Re: Stoopid but pressing backup question

craigni wrote:
<snip
: I'm getting enamored of rsync to the point where I think that's the
: backup strategy I'd like to use
<snip>

Since you are interested in using rsync for backups, you might profit
by having a look at "rnsapshot" which uses rsync at its heart but with
a nice way to configure what and how often you want to backed up.

<http://www.rsnapshot.org/>

An alternative to this is another rsync-based backup system:

<http://edseek.com/~jasonb/articles/dirvish_backup/introduction.html>

These both use the hardlink facilities of rsync to only backup what's
changed, yet keep your entire directory structure intact for each
backup (by using multiple hard links to the same data).

There exist files for which rsync, as used above, is not a good
choice.  These are typically large files to which you make frequent
small changes.  The above packages will make a new copy of the
_entire_ file each time you make a change.  If the file is, say, 20GB,
well, you see the problem.  The virtual disk files used by VMware are
examples of such files.  Every time I merely open a "Word Doc" M$ sees
fit to update the doc file.  The VMware virtual disk therefore sees a
(tiny) change.

In this case there's <http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/>.  I've not
used this so can't comment first-hand on it, but it is supposed to
solve the "big file"/"small changes" problem.

Dean