grass and expat

Since installing fc8 I have had problems starting GRASS from the application launcher.  I get an error message saying it can not open shared object file: libexpat.so.0: No such file or directory. I checked and this file does not exist on my system. The weird thing is that I do not get the error message when I start GRASS from the command line, it only occurs when I start it from the application launcher. The command used in the application launcher points to the same binary /usr/bin/grass62 as when I start it from the command line. I uninstalled and the reinstalled GRASS, but still have the same problem. Why would GRASS need libexpat.so.0 when it is started from the application launcher, but not when it is started from the command line? This only started occurring when I upgraded to fc8.

Jim