Re: USB storage devices and /etc/fstab

Dave Lehman wrote:
name and I have to manually edit /etc/fstab to mount them. Is there a way around this?
The easiest way is to label the filesystems and edit your /etc/fstab to
use the labels instead of the device names.  Find one of your devices
Dunno about you chaps, but mine are mostly FAT filesystems, and they're staying that way for maximum portability.

What then?

Use dosfslabel from the dosfstools package.

Dave

For most of my sticks, I check the partition table, reformat them as vfat with a label. I can then grab a stick and know what it is. As we have dozens of the same sticks at work, mine is automatically identified by having my name on it.

On linux these mount as "/media/{label}"

--
Robin Laing