Re: USB storage devices and /etc/fstab

J Taylor wrote:
> I have multiple USB storages devices that are assigned to different /dev/sd*
> files.  My problem is that a given device does not always have the same file
> name and I have to manually edit /etc/fstab to mount them.  Is there a way
> around this?
>
> Thanks

One way is to let HAL mount them. For this to work, you will need to
remove the entries in /etc/fstab. If you do want to have entries in
/etc/fstab for them, use partition labels instead of device names.

LABEL=/backup        /backup          ext3    defaults        1 2

You can use e2label to label ext2/3 partitions. You can check the
list archives or ask here on how to label other types of partitions.

Mikkel