Re: Are nVidia closed source drivers still needed for 2 years old chipset?

dondi_2006 wrote:
Hello,

I have to install FC 8 on a computer with a nForce430/
GeForce6150 chipset.

I have printed out the instructions to install the nVidia drivers but then I thought "maybe two years of
reverse engineering were enough to make the
open source drivers suport 100% that chipset.

Is this the case? Are the closed source drivers available today from  http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html still needed to
use under fedora all the capabilities of a 2+ year old
chipset?

Or is the current version of the nv driver enough?

Basically, do I still need today the closed source
drivers to get all those chips are capable of?

Thanks,
D.

The nv in the kernel will Not work properly. If your going to update your kernel then there should be a update for the Nvidia video also. The other choice is to get the binary from the web page you show and run that every time you do change a kernel or a whole system.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User