Re: F8 yum update problem

On Thursday 13 December 2007, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> Tom Horsley suggests checking "elementary things" and gives two
> examples. Verifying package signatures, especially when packages are
> resigned when being moved from updates-testing to updates, is
> something that would not take "many hours".

On thing that would eliminate many issues is to make the mirroring and repo
building process transactional; I also know what kind of an infrastructure
headache that would be to get and keep working.

That is, as packages are queued for insertion into the main repo, all
processes and regenerations are done, then the transaction is committed and
the mirror stays consistent (ACID for the repo).  As it is now, there are
windows (as you thoroughly covered in your message) where the repo and set of
mirrors are inconsistent.

And, just like database replication (like Slony and others on PostgreSQL, or
MySQL's replication engine), this is a tough problem to solve correctly.
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer