Ambient light sensor configuration?

My laptop seemingly has an ambient light sensor, of some kind, and the kernel apparently knows about it, but won't let me access it. With the room lights reduced, the LCD's backlight gradually steps down to half power, and goes back to full power when the lights come back up. I can force this to happen by manually covering up the sensor.

Nothing ACPI-related appears to be logged, when I play with the sensor. I find nothing interesting in /proc. Nothing interesting in the laptop's BIOS setup either.

I don't care for the light sensor. I want the LCD backlight to always run at full power. To hell with global warming, I want to burn as much juice as I can, but I can't find a way to disable it. Nothing in Gnome Power Management has any effect, and this ambient light sensor seems to operate completely independent on any power setting. So, how do I disable this thing? By disable I don't mean to cover it up with black tape, and keep the LCD backlight at half power, all the time. Quite the opposite.