Re: It Works fine... System lockups with F8 and Firefox

* Karl Larsen (k5di@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> Jeff Krebs wrote:
>> * Karl Larsen (k5di@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>>
>>>    After so many problems seen day after day it is nice I think to hear
>>> about a success.
>>>
>>> F8 was installed from a DVD and came right up with a video problem cuzz I
>>> have a Nvidia video card. Fixed in 5 minutes with Nvidia binary. Then
>>> audio problems and found pulse audio the problem. I was told to yum
>>> remove and I did and audio is fine again.
>>>
>>>    I have had all the updates and they appear to be real Updates! So
>>> today December 10 2007 my F8 is working just fine. I have just one
>>> problem. I
>>
>> I will mark this down on my calendar, and ensure that it's engraved in
>> stone to pass down to historians.  Such a feat was certainly unthinkable
>> :)
>>

>>> seem to have a rootkit somewhere in the /home/karl/ directories. I have
>>> RTK and this afternoon I plan to find the thing, or discover I have no
>>> rootkit but rather another kind of problem.
>>>
>>> Karl
>>>

>> How do you know that you have a root kit?
>>

>> Jeff Krebs
>>

>    I really do not know Jeff. But often, while using Firefox I get an
> attack that puts a cross hatch screen on and removes the keyboard and
> mouse, and puts a single tone out the audio channels and only a hard reset
> will clear it.
>
>    This is how I think a rootkit would work and so I got rkhunter and right
> now I am trying to get it to check /home but have not found out how to do
> this :-)
>
> Karl

I don't think that's a rootkit.

Sounds like a nasty lockup to me.

Have you updated your system since initial install?  My experience with
lockups usually involves upgrading the kernel; either things go screwey
after a kernel update (not common), or things are haywire until an
update.

You could also have a hardware issue too.  Memory can be checked with
"memtest86".  Motherboards?  Dunno.  Could be a bios update is needed.

Oh, and let's change the topic a bit...

Jeff Krebs