Re: Install F8 from a mounted pen drive

I am sorry for taking so long to get back to you on this. I forgot
about it.

Clodoaldo wrote:

> I can't burn it. My CD burner is broken and right now I don't have
> access to another one.
>
> I have tried to boot the pen drive kernel using grub but there is a
> problem. This is what i did:
>
> root (hd1,0)
> kernel /vmlinuz ro root=/dev/sda1
> initrd /initrd
> error 28:selected item cannot fit into memory.
>
> How to avoid this error?
>
> I have read somewhere that it is not possible to do it when grub is
> running under a kernel. If it is true then how to get to grub without

You can get the grub prompt when booting from the CD, but it is not
going to be able to read the information on the USB drive if the
BIOS does not provide access. There will also be a problem that the
stage 1.5 on the CD not for the file system on the USB drive. But if
the BIOS can see the drive, you can chainload to the boot sector on
it. Because Grub uses the BIOS to read the drive, the BIOS needs to
be able to access the drive. Because the BIOS can not boot from a
USB drive, it probably does not provide any access to it. So you
need drivers loaded first. While there may be a BIOS extension that
will let you do this, you still have the problem of not being able
to burn a CD right now, so it will probably not help. (You might
find one that fits on a floppy image, if you have a floppy.) What
you may be able to do is create a small FAT partition on the hard
drive, and use Syslinux to boot the kernel and initrd that is
currently on the USB drive.

Mikkel