Re: firefox randomly spawning mplayer

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 07:04 +1030, Tim wrote:
Is it random, or happens after you've been browsing pages which make use
of the mplayer plugin?  e.g. Pages with embedded movie clips.

I start Firefox, mplayer immediately starts to spawn and die.

I got it to stop by changing the permissions on the mplayer plugins to
400.  That broke some of the pages I was browsing to (re: couldn't play
embedded media), so restored the permissions and used the one Windows
way: rebooted.  All is well now.

Having to reboot to fix a problem is quite perplexing.  I thought I left
that shit behind many years ago (I've been using Linux distors since RH
7.2).

Regards,

Ranbir

Did you check with PS to see if there was an mplayer running in the background that was associated with firefox?

Did you check to see what was open from a previous session?

I ask this as I have come across times where mplayer is classified as being open, playing some file from a few days before.

The reboot would have killed this process but so would have a kill command.

--
Robin Laing