Re: Fedora 7 Shutdown

Christoph Höger wrote, On 12/06/2007 03:56 PM:
Am Donnerstag, den 06.12.2007, 14:56 -0500 schrieb Gene Poole:
I complained to a friend of mine about one of my boxes just shutting down
without any notice.  He informed me that this is an issue, in some cases,
with people running Fedora 7.  I'm running Fedora 7 x86_64 (AMD X2 64
+5600, 4-GB RAM, nVidia PCIE graphic card, 2 - 320 GB SATA hard drives).
Is there a way to fix this or should I just start my migration to Fedora 8?

Thanks,
Gene Poole
gene.poole@xxxxxxxxx

Hi,

the first thing I would point at: You've got not enough power (watts)!
With _that_ configuration you could simply run out of power with burning
something and looking/encoding a video or so. How many W has your power supply? And how many W does your
CPU,GPU,HDs,DVDs need at maximum?

regards

christoph

Along those lines, is there not a process|daemon(s) that watches some power supplies and if it thinks that the power supply just said "hey I lost power", it starts a shutdown???

Gene are you seeing graceful or ungraceful shutdowns?

if graceful, perhaps there is a line near the beginning of the shutdown in syslog where the daemon mentions getting the out of power signal.

if ungraceful, like christoph said, you are likely just on the edge of out of power.

graceful=you see all the init scripts indicate they are stopping.
ungraceful=you are left wondering why the room just got quiet all the sudden, and where the user interface went.
--
Todd Denniston