Re: NTP fails synchronization with server at startup

Paul Smith wrote:
Dear All,

I have NTP configured to synchronize with a server at startup, but it
always fails that as reported by F8 during the booting.
Notwithstanding:

# /sbin/service ntpd restart
Shutting down ntpd:                                        [  OK  ]
ntpd: Synchronizing with time server:                      [  OK  ]
Starting ntpd:                                             [  OK  ]
#

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

I have read through the thread, but I don't see mention of using NetworkManager to start ntpd for you.

NetworkManager, as has been discussed, was designed to start interfaces upon user login. This is especially useful for laptops and systems that get moved around alot and have more than one user account. Thus, users do not need to allow access to private networks that other users do not need.

What has not been discussed, is NetworkManagers ability to start any/all network based services when a user logs in.

This is somewhat similar to domain lofins, if that helps explain it. Basically, a script, or group of scripts can/will be run when a user logs in.

These can range from:
service start ntpd
mount server:/home/myhome/data /home/myhome/data

These scripts can run as any user, since they are executed as root in the first place.

To resolve the OPs issue, create two simple scripts. One for startup, one for stopping ntpd. You can also specify these by interface. For instance: eth0=wired and eth1=wireless. Perhaps I only want nptd running when on the wired connection because I use the wireless mostly in an ad-hoc network, or for wardriving.

Lets assume for these examples that we want ntpd to start every time NetworManager brings up eth0, and turn it off whenever NetworkManager turns off eth0.

Add this script (ore make one like it to suit your needs) to the /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/ directory.

#!/bin/sh

# scripts in the /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/ directory
# are called alphabetically and are passed two parameters:
# $1 is the interface name, and $2 is “up” or “down”

if [ "$1" = "eth0" ]
then
if [ "$2" = "up" ]
then
/sbin/service ntpd start
fi
if [ "$2" = "down" ]
then
/sbin/service ntpd stop
fi
fi

I call it ntpd.
# chmod 755 ntpd

Now pull the wired plug, and then plug it back in. ntpd should be running.

It will be most useful using this method to:

# /sbin/chkconfig ntpd off

All services you want NetworkManager to 'manage' need to be set to off mode based on run level.

Good Luck!