Re: Broadcom PCI device gone missing and is now a USB device ???

On Dec 6, 2007 4:30 AM, Jesus Jr M Salvo <jesus.m.salvo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 06/12/2007, Jesus Jr M Salvo <jesus.m.salvo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > What I DO notice is that it is recognised as a USB device. However, I
> > do not recall if my broadcom device was also recognised as a USB
> > device when it was recognised as a PCI device months ago ... but I
> > presume not ( can you actually have the same device as PCI and USB at
> > the same time?? ).
>
> OK ... The Broadcom USB device entries also appeared when the Broadcom
> PCI device were detected. So I guess the USB device is for bluetooth,
> while the PCI device ( the missing device ) is the actual 802.11g
> device .... but I am still no closer to finding out why it is no
> longer listed in lspci or /proc/bus/pci/devices.
>

> --

Hi Jesus Jr M Salvo!

My first guess is hardware (loose or dirty connector) or firmware
(CMOS battery (in laptop world sometimes called "reserve battery").
Most laptop wireless adapters I have seen can be removed and usually
you can find a manual on line.  I am not saying to remove it, just see
that it is properly seated and clean.  Firmware you can test anytime
by loading all the CMOS defaults, editing if you need to (boot order
for example) and then save and exit.  My current laptop is ancient and
I simply do this every time I turn the machine on.  The intermittent
disk problems it had (which is probably why it was a gift to me) I
have not seen since I started this procedure.

The following article may help with some system understanding and tools:

http://linux.about.com/od/pap_howto/a/hwtpap07t03.htm

Good Hunting!

Tod