Setting up a transparent proxy

I am working on setting up a test network using a squid proxy connected to a firewall (proxy and firewall are both Linux).  Can anyone tell me what are best practices for setting up the proxy to be transparent?  Currently I have my proxy to the firewall sitting in a DMZ isolated from both the intranet and external network.  I was hoping to have the traffic flow as such (but it's not quite working right):

webclient -> firewall -> proxy -> firewall -> webserver
webserver -> firewall -> proxy -> firewall -> webclient

Is this even the right way to go about doing this?  If not what is?

thx,

 - Joe