Re: Is "/usr/bin/passwd" working as devlers expected?

Gijs wrote:
Makoto Mizukami wrote:

Hello,

When I just tried to change password of my user account,
"/usr/bin/passwd" returned me messages like following:
-----
[((username))@localhost ~]$ passwd
Changing password for user ((username)).
Changing password for ((username)).
(current) UNIX password: New UNIX password: BAD PASSWORD: it is based
on a dictionary word
New UNIX password: BAD PASSWORD: it is based on a dictionary word
New UNIX password: BAD PASSWORD: it is based on a dictionary word
passwd: Authentication token manipulation error
-----
and I cannot change my password.  It is true that I had type a simple
English word, but when I did with root, it only alerts me once and I
was able to change the root password.  Please tell me whethere this is
normal happening or not.

Thanks,
Makoto Mizukami

Even if it is allowed in Fedora, would you really want a simple password
like this?
I'd suggest you choose a different password, maybe through the use of
pwgen or a different password-generator (though those are kinda hard to
remember).

Regards

Bleh, sorry about the spam, my provider's emailserver was acting up :S