RE: Grub clarification

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 18:53 -0800, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> Well, only ONCE was I able to get GRUB to fall into a command-line
> mode, and from there, manually typing in:
>
> grub> root (hd0,0)
> grub> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-42.fc8 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
> grub> initrd /initrd-2.6.23.1-42.fc8.img
> grub> boot
>
> And the system came up.  It worked.  But since I could not figure
> out how to make this change so that it boots automatically, I started
> over and ever since I did that, all I got from then on was a black
> screen with GRUB at the top-left corner of my monitor.  *sigh*

Then the same will work in your grub.conf file, but you have to "setup"
grub onto the MBR where the BIOS will read it.

To do things in the usual way on a multi-disk system, you'll have to:

a:  Work out what disk the computer will boot up to, and "setup" grub on
    that one's MBR so the BIOS boots up grub, and grub takes over.

    If you have a multi-disk system where some of the drives are
    removable ones, you may have to set grub up on more than one drive.

b:  Work out what the computer thinks will be the boot partition
    (whether it's hd0,0 or hd1,0, etc.), which is *grub's* "root", and
    you'll set that parameter while doing grub setup, which grub
    uses to load its files to start booting an OS.

e.g. In the grub shell:

    Command to tell grub where /boot is:  root (hd0,0)
    Command to setup the MBR:  setup (hd0)
    Command to write the changes:  quit

    (That's an *example* of how it *could* be set, adjust the actual
     drive parameters to suit your own system.)

Read the grub documentation, ignore the scanty man file there's much
more information elsewhere.  Look at the info file, or their website.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.