Re: Grub clarification

On Dec 3, 2007 10:53 AM, Daniel B. Thurman <dant@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am trying to install F8 onto my old system and having
> trouble getting grub to find the drive. Here is the story.
>
> I have removed all drives except the one drive I am attempting
> to install F8 on.
>
> I was able to get the F8-Live to work but apparently I must
> be doing something wrong when it comes to custom
> partitioning screen.
>
> I defined my partitions as:
>
> /dev/sda1       /boot   75MB
> /dev/sda2       /       13GB
> /dev/sda3       swap    1GB
>
> I committed the partitions, but when it comes to the grub
> configuration screen, it shows:
>
> [o]     The GRUB boot loader will be installed on /dev/sda
>
> Default     Label      Device
> x             fedora     /dev/sda2
>
> Taking the defaults w/o any changes, I proceed and completed
> the installation.
>
> On reboot,  GRUB fails to find the drive.
>
> Am I doing something wrong?

> Checked by AVG Free Edition.
>

> --

Hi Daniel B. Thurman!

Two things come to mind:

1. HW!  Some drives and CMOS combinations just do not work.  Check the
CMOS client, that it sees the drive and that the drive is high on the
boot list.  Check to see that it is Master on the first IDE bus.
Since it is an old system you might do well to load the defaults and
edit the boot list (a "until you shut the power off" fix for a bad
CMOS battery).

2. Mis-placed or malformed Master Boot Record (MBR).  The MBR needs to
be the very first 512 bytes of the disk - loading GRUB on the second
partition sounds strange although the MBR can be built to find GRUB
anywhere.  To help sort that one out I refer you to a Google search on
"grub thestarman" and the GRUB manual.

Good Hunting!

Tod