Re: Samba/Fedora 8 problems

Paul Smith wrote:
On Dec 3, 2007 2:45 PM, Craig White <craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm having problems getting Samba to work on Fedora 8.
Perhaps someone has an idea.

Here's the simple smb.conf I'm using:

[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
security = users
wins support = yes

[work]
comment = Work Area
path = /export/work
public = yes
guest ok = yes
writable = yes
readonly = no
printable = no
browseable = yes

SELinux is disabled, no firewall.

When I run "smbclient -L localhost -U%" I get the following:

         Sharename       Type      Comment
         ---------       ----      -------
         work            Disk      Work Area
         IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba 3.0.27a-0.fc8)

         Server               Comment
         ---------            -------

         Workgroup            Master
         ---------            -------

I would expect the workgroup name and server name to be listed.

findsmb reports Samba servers on other systems, but not localhost.

I've tried with "security = share" and without the "wins" line.
I've also tried a working smb.conf from a FC 5 system.
I created a user with smbpasswd.  None of this makes any difference.

I noticed that nmbd is started by /etc/init.d/smb on the FC 5
system, but that F8 doesn't.  Not sure what that means.

Any suggestions?
----
shouldn't that be

security = user

Yes, fixed it.  Doesn't make any difference.

?

smbclient -L $HOSTNAME
where $HOSTNAME is the name of your computer though localhost or ip
should work. You don't need to authenticate (a user)

See above.

what errors do you get when you do...

testparm -s

None (after correcting the typo).

Apparently, another typo seems to be the problem:
"readonly" should be "read only".  system-config-samba
complained about it where testparm didn't.

Thanks for the help!

--
Michael Eager	 eager@xxxxxxxxxxxx
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077