Re: FC8 Sound not working after kernel update

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 09:52 +0100, wwp wrote:
> Hello Dean,
>

> On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 09:07:31 -0500 Dean Maluski <dmaluski@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Just did the yum update of xen kernel on IBM Thinkpad T22.
> > Afterward system sounds are not playing.
> > XMMS wasn't working either until I went in and reconfigured from default
> > PCM to Soundfusion (hw:0,0) In think it was set to default PCM device.
> > I can go in as root and detect sound card, works.
> > Also as X user do test sounds OK but when I try to play system sounds
> > nothbing heard and no complaints in /var/log/messages.
>
> Same here, no more sound in user space. I noticed (maybe unrelated)
> this in /var/log/messages:
>
> pulseaudio[3853]: module-alsa-sink.c: Error opening PCM device hw:0: Device or resource busy
> pulseaudio[3853]:last message repeated 2 times
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> wwp

I left this machine on overnight and to my suprise audio is now working
fine.
Most of my servers of course stay on 24/7 but this laptop is subject to
frequent shutdowns.
I did try to reboot several times Saturday with no improvement.
 I've had it on and off several times since it started working and
system sounds are now fine.