Re: F7 to F8 upgrade - Anaconda nightmare

On Dec 2, 2007 1:32 PM, Timothy Murphy <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I tried upgrading a ThinkPad T43 from Fedora 7 to 8
> and met the familiar hanging syndrome.
>
> I followed the recipe
> at <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/F8Common>,
> downloading
> <http://katzj.fedorapeople.org/updates-f8-yumloop.img>
> and appending "updates" to the kernel command.
>
> The latter seemed to work, since /tmp/updates
> contained the updates*.img file
> (and all other files in the same directory).
>
> However, I saw no evidence that the updates*.img file
> was actually invoked.
> In any case, the hanging was not cured.
>
> I wondered how anaconda knows which file to use to update?
> Does it use all *.img files?
> Is one meant to change the name of the downloaded file?
>
> As far as I can tell, Anaconda upgrade has not worked
> for most people - it worked for me on one computer,
> but not on a second.
> This is not good;
> if the developers cannot get anaconda to upgrade reasonably well
> they should remove the option.
>
> As a practical matter, I did not see any way
> of determining what exactly anaconda was doing
> during the eternal "Checking dependencies ...".
> If one knew it was stuck checking dependencies on one file
> it would be easy to tell that the process had failed.
> As it is, there seems to be no way of knowing
> except to wait for several hours.
>
> Anaconda: 1 out of 10.

You may want to consider upgrading your machines with yum. Check:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq

Maybe, in the future, the yum way will be the recommended method to
upgrade Fedora distributions. (Ubuntu does so already.) For now, it
seems to work well, although they say

"Although upgrades with yum have been tested and work, live upgrades
are not recommended by the Fedora Project".

Paul